Feedback from Nov 2021 Meeting

Hi all, feedback from the online monthly meeting today 3 Nov 2021:

1. Telegram SAOSS group – as agreed at last month’s meeting it was closed and deleted today.
2. Kubernetes as a MIOS standard for cloud – Karl will still get to see Richard Brown at SITA to discuss.
3. Establishing a FOSS special interest group for GITOC – it is not for us to say how GITOC TTT will be involved or the nature of the new entity, but we need to establish correct Chairperson at TTT to discuss with Nhlanhla. Roles and hierarchy are important for gov to determine, and it is envisaged it may be a special interest group. Danie will establish contact person with TTT.
4. Events – we need to think about Software Freedom Day and similar for next year. We will use the SAOSS website event calendar for now to pin events down.
5. Right to Repair – Danie feels it is more in TTT domain being hardware related and he will convey our ideas around repairability scoring etc to TTT.
6. We also discussed some other issues that are not for action right now but we’ll keep them on as discussion points:
6.1 Enterprise Architecture – Mohamed raises importance of it determining direction and FOSS awareness legislation, MIOS, etc but often external parties are just contracted to complete it for Depts and Entities. Keu is on this group and can be involved in this.
6.2 IT in schools – the fact that Delphi is still being taught, whilst Python is so popular and even presented by Microsoft says Karl. It is possibly something that can be taken up within the FOSS special interest group.

Next meeting 7th Dec 2021 at 15:00. Website and Jitsi link is in Signal Group’s header.

Author: Danie van der Merwe

Worked at SA Police and then SITA for a total of 35 years before taking retirement. My passions now are promoting open source software, green environment tech, and blogging about gadgets and technology.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.